Thursday 30 June 2011

Happy birthday to me

Yes, I'm 2+ weeks late for my own birthday.  

But now that I'm caught up on the weekend trips, the next step will be catching up on all the fun things that have been going on during the week.  Tonight's post will be short, but I promised pictures of fried grasshoppers, and I wouldn't lie to you about something like that...


Believe it or not, they're delicious.  Kind of like popcorn, but crunchier and with a little bit of a bacon flavor.

When we took a trip to Masaka one night, we saw the way the grasshoppers are caught - it involves huge sheets of metal, 50 gallon drums, lots of smoke, and the brightest lights I've ever seen (which is apparently managed by illegally tapping into the power grid).



Even though they're out of season, Teo managed to find some, and fried them up for us.  We also had sugar cane.



Birthday cake!  Birthdays aren't traditionally a big deal here, but the Western idea of birthday celebrations is becoming more common.  Still, obtaining or making a birthday cake in Kalisizo is definitely a challenge.  Leigh, Elizabeth, Megan and Teo came through though - with passionfruit sauce and creative use of chocolate chips!



This will be my last post for a few days, since we'll be taking a weekend trip to Lake Bunyonyi, near the Rwandan border, and I doubt that our safari tent comes with wifi.

So, for your enjoyment for the weekend, one more picture of adorable kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment